These baby bibs are a great accessory to keep your bubbas clothes clean and free of food. They are very easy to make and can easily be made from scraps of fabric you have leftover. They are double-sided and contain a cotton towelling to give them some structure, and are also machine washable. We recommend using plain/patterned cotton for this project, but you could also use a canvas, cotton duck or waterproof fabric. We also will be using a button as the closure, but velcro would work just as well. This project is blank, however you can add embroidery or machine applique if you wish.
This project is great for all sewing levels, from beginner to advanced.
What you'll need:
- Sewing machine
- Rasant thread (To match your fabric)
- Fabric 1 (15” worth in your colour choice)
- Fabric 2 (15” worth in your colour choice)
- Towel fabric (15” worth)
- Button (or velcro)
- Sewing scissors (or a rotary cutter + mat)
- Pins or small Echidna clips
- Frixion pen (or a water soluble pen)
- Water soluble pen or frixion pen
- Iron and ironing board/wool pressing mat
- Blank Baby Bib pattern →
- Embroidery machine
- Embroidery threads
- Machine applique pattern
Embroider your bibs with our FREE embroidery design
You can download one of our fabulous designs from our Cute Creatures Pack by Echidna Designs collection for FREE! Add some adorable detail to your baby bib with our 'Whaley Cute' design. Download now →
Love these designs? You can purchase the full Cute Creatures Pack by Echidna Designs with all 10 designs online. Take a look →
The steps below are just an overview of the project instructions and must be used in conjunction with the tutorial video. Print these steps out to have beside you when watching the video as a reminder.
- Download the pattern from our website.
- Cut and assemble pattern following the numbers
- Cut 1 pattern piece from your fabric 1, fabric 2 and towel fabric. NOTE: Make sure to mirror your two fabrics if they are patterned fabric and make sure the direction of the pattern is going the right way
- If adding embroidery or machine applique, do it here (on fabric 1, or the piece that will face up).
- Place your fabric 1 piece face up
- Place your cotton backing on top of your fabric piece, aligning the sides and corners
- Place your fabric 2 face down on the cotton backing
- Pin or clip to secure
- With your frixion pen, mark a 2” gap at the bottom of the bib. This is for turning through after sewing it together.
- Stitch around the perimeter of the bib, leaving the 2” gap open
- Trim down edges to ¼” seam allowance and clip the curves to reduce bulk
- Turn bib right side out
- Tuck in the turning hole and press flat with your iron
- Sew a top stitch around the perimeter of the bib, making sure you stitch the turning hole closed
- Sew a buttonhole using your buttonhole foot and your desired button
- Attach your desired button onto the other side
- Press once more with your iron
- All done!
Don’t forget to show us your finished projects on Instagram or Facebook #echidnasewing #madebyme
Free Embroidery Designs
We're excited to offer our free Echidna designs available for download. These free designs are perfect for those at a beginner or an advanced level. Add these designs to your stash and create incredible embroidery!
View all free designs >
Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machines
Interested in learning how to sew, quilt or embroider? Take a look at the innovative Brother machines available for purchase at Echidna Sewing. Wherever possible we will beat any deal and you will always receive ongoing service and support!
Find out more >
Learn to Sew or Embroider with Echidna Sewing
Come along to our fun-filled classes to learn more about sewing, embroidery and crafting. Classes cater for all skill levels, whether you're just starting out or already have advanced knowledge.
Find out more >
Echidna project material/ fabric requirements are an indication only and can seem to be generous. This has been intentional. Should you make a cutting or embroidery mistake you will have sufficient fabric to rectify your error.