Over Collar Dog Bandana
Date Posted:1 September 2022
Dog Bandanas are an adorable accessory for your dog, they are incredibly easy to make. These can be made one of two ways, this tutorial is for a bandana that you can loop your dogs collar through.
It would be best to make these bandanas out of a cotton fabric or a recycled denim. If you use any other fabric, it may be unsafe for your dog if they chew the fabric. This also goes for decorations/haberdashery. Tassels and pom poms are not recommended as they could be dangerous. In this tutorial we will be using a printed 100% cotton poplin for our fabric.
This project is great for all sewing levels, from beginner to advanced.
What you'll need:
- Sewing machine
- Rasant thread (To match your fabric)
- Fabric: 15" x WOF in your colour choice
- Rotary cutter and self-healing mat
- Sewing scissors
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Pins and small clips
- Iron and ironing board
- Medium sized ruler (we recommend 12" x 12")
- Water soluble pen or frixion pen
- 1/4" sewing foot
- Universal sewing needles 90/14
- Spray starch
- Bandana pattern →
- Embroidery machine
- Embroidery threads
- Fusible Softaway
Embroider your bandanas with our FREE embroidery designs
Love these designs? You can purchase the full Pawesome Pack by Echidna Designs with all 11 designs online. Take a look →
The steps below are just an overview of the project instructions and must be used in conjunction with the tutorial video. Print these steps out to have beside you when watching the video as a reminder.
- Download the pattern from our website.
- Cut your desired pattern piece out (small, medium, or large).
- Iron your fabric to get rid of any wrinkles or creases.
- If adding embroidery, do so here.
- Place your pattern piece on the fold of your fabric (If you have embroidered on your fabric, make sure your embroidery is in the correct position before cutting out your piece).
- Cut two pieces of fabric from the pattern piece.
- Place both pieces together, right sides facing each other. Pin or clip to secure.
- Sew the top edges together with a straight stitch and a ¼” seam allowance.
- Open the piece flat and press the seam open flat with your iron.
- Turn over the side edge ¼”, iron flat.
- Turn over again another ¼” and iron flat.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 for the other side of the bandana.
- Top stitch the folds on the inside edge of the fold.
- Place right sides together and pin/clip to secure.
- Sew each diagonal edge together with a straight stitch and a ⅛ ” seam allowance.
- Turn right side out and press flat with bandana.
- All done!
Don’t forget to show us your finished projects on Instagram or Facebook #echidnasewing #madebyme
These dog bandanas can also be donated to charity. If you want to contribute to a great cause, the charities listed below accept handmade dog bandanas. Just send your creations to the mailing address provided.
Are you a charity that would accept this item? Contact us to have your details added here.
Free Embroidery Designs
We're excited to offer our free Echidna designs available for download. These free designs are perfect for those at a beginner or an advanced level. Add these designs to your stash and create incredible embroidery!
View all free designs >
Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machines
Interested in learning how to sew, quilt or embroider? Take a look at the innovative Brother machines available for purchase at Echidna Sewing. Wherever possible we will beat any deal and you will always receive ongoing service and support!
Find out more >
Learn to Sew or Embroider with Echidna Sewing
Come along to our fun-filled classes to learn more about sewing, embroidery and crafting. Classes cater for all skill levels, whether you're just starting out or already have advanced knowledge.
Find out more >
Echidna project material/ fabric requirements are an indication only and can seem to be generous. This has been intentional. Should you make a cutting or embroidery mistake you will have sufficient fabric to rectify your error.