How to embroider a towel
Date Posted:19 December 2022
Embroidering a towel can add touches of personalisation to your home bathroom or make perfect gifts for friends and family. I’m going to show you how to embroider a hand towel today, but this tutorial applies to all types of towels.
This project is great for all embroidery levels, from beginner to advanced.
What you'll need:
- Embroidery machine and embroidery hoop
- Embroidery threads in your desired colours (we recommend Hemingworth)
- Frixion pen or chalk
- Towel of your choice
- Washaway stabiliser
- Supersolve topping
The steps below are just an overview of the project instructions and must be used in conjunction with the tutorial video. Print these steps out to have beside you when watching the video as a reminder.
- Cut a piece of Washaway to suit your hoop size.
- Hoop one layer of Washaway stabiliser.
- Load your desired design on your embroidery machine.
- On your towel, mark the centrepoint of where you want your embroidery to sit with a frixion pen or chalk. Refer to our placement guide for more information.
- Cut a small piece of supersolve to cover where your design will stitch out.
- Place supersolve over the top of your towel, making sure its covering your centrepoint. Pin in place.
- Load the hoop into your machine.
- Do a trace around of the design, and ensure you do not hit any pins.
- Adjust the presser foot height accordingly, so it is just sitting above the layer of supersolve.
- Stitch out the design.
- Once complete, remove the hoop from your machine and release the towel.
- Cut any excess threads and remove any excess stabiliser or supersolve.
Tip:You can use a cotton bud dipped in water to help remove the excess stabiliser.
- And you're all done!
Don’t forget to show us your finished projects on Instagram or Facebook #echidnasewing #madebyme
Free Embroidery Designs
We're excited to offer our free Echidna designs available for download. These free designs are perfect for those at a beginner or an advanced level. Add these designs to your stash and create incredible embroidery!
View all free designs >
Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machines
Interested in learning how to sew, quilt or embroider? Take a look at the innovative Brother machines available for purchase at Echidna Sewing. Wherever possible we will beat any deal and you will always receive ongoing service and support!
Find out more >
Learn to Sew or Embroider with Echidna Sewing
Come along to our fun-filled classes to learn more about sewing, embroidery and crafting. Classes cater for all skill levels, whether you're just starting out or already have advanced knowledge.
Find out more >
Echidna project material/ fabric requirements are an indication only and can seem to be generous. This has been intentional. Should you make a cutting or embroidery mistake you will have sufficient fabric to rectify your error.