Repurposed Denim Dog Bones
Date Posted:9 October 2021
Repurpose your old denim clothes by creating denim dog bones! These handmade toys are the perfect playmate for your dog and will keep them busy and entertained. It's a great way to reuse old fabric and avoid wasting it, whilst creating something fun and playful for your pet. This project is great for beginners or those at an advanced level.
- 1 x pair of old jeans (or strong denim/upholstery fabric)
- PDF pattern of dog bone shapes (4 bone sizes included)
- Sewing machine with triple stitch
- Rasant thread
- Bobbin filled with Rasant thread (same colour as above)
- Regular J Foot
- Toy stuffing
- Needle for hand stitching
- Purple Thang (handy for poking and stuffing too!)
- Denim/Jeans needle 100/16
Machine Embroidery (optional)
- Embroidery machine with a hoop size of 4” x 4” (100mm x 100mm)
- Free designs (Dog Paw & Lets Play!)
- Embroidery thread
- Bobbin thread
- Deconstruct your denim jeans by unpicking the inner seam of each leg.
- Embroider “Let’s Play” or the Dog Paw design on your denim. Try and get the design placement to be in the middle of the jeans away from the seam. If you don’t have an embroidery machine, skip this step.
- Print the PDF pattern and choose which size bone to make (4 sizes available).
- Cut out the selected pattern, joining together A & B if the large bone has been selected.
- Place the pattern over the previously embroidered jeans, pin in place, then cut out. Place the pattern a second time on the jeans and cut out the back of the bone.
- Pin fabric right sides together leaving a 3” gap along a straight edge to turn and stuff the bone.
- Using a triple stitch and with the edge of the foot on the outside edge of the fabric, sew around the outside of the bone. Don’t forget to leave the 3” gap for stuffing!
- Clip around the curves of the bone every ½”.
- Turn the bone inside out and stuff with toy stuffing, pressing out the curves of the bone as you stuff.
- Slip stitch the 3” gap closed using matching thread.
DONATE SOME TO A CHARITY
These denim dog bones can also be donated to charity. If you want to contribute to a great cause, the charities listed below accept our handmade denim dog bones to give to their animals. Just send your creations in to the mailing address provided.
Are you a charity that would accept this item? Contact us to have your details added here.
Mareeba Animal Refuge
PO Box 562
Mareeba QLD 4880
139 Wacol Station Road
Wacol QLD 4076
RSPCA New South Wales
201 Rookwood Road
Yagoona NSW 2199
3 Burwood Hwy
Burwood VIC 3151
12 Kirkpatrick Street
Weston ACT 2611
RSPCA South Australia
16 Nelson St
Stepney SA 5069
80 Boulter Road
Berrimah NT 0828
20 Cavalry Road
Mowbray TAS 7248
Free Embroidery Designs
We're excited to offer our free Echidna designs available for download. These free designs are perfect for those at a beginner or an advanced level. Add these designs to your stash and create incredible embroidery!
View all free designs >
Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machines
Interested in learning how to sew, quilt or embroider? Take a look at the innovative Brother machines available for purchase at Echidna Sewing. Wherever possible we will beat any deal and you will always receive ongoing service and support!
Find out more >
Learn to Sew or Embroider with Echidna Sewing
Come along to our fun-filled classes to learn more about sewing, embroidery and crafting. Classes cater for all skill levels, whether you're just starting out or already have advanced knowledge.
Find out more >
Echidna project material/ fabric requirements are an indication only and can seem to be generous. This has been intentional. Should you make a cutting or embroidery mistake you will have sufficient fabric to rectify your error.