Stay warm in winter and create your own mittens. It's no fun when your hands and fingers feel almost frozen, but with handmade mittens lined with fleece, your hands will be toasty warm! This project is perfect for all skill levels, from beginner to advanced.
Want to create something for charity? These mittens can also be donated. View the list of charities that accept this item below →
What you need:
- 30cm x WOF of fabric (Knit, sweatshirt or fleece)
- 20cm x 20cm of Ribbed Knit fabric
- Printed pattern →
- Sticky tape
- Matching thread
- Sewing machine
Print the pattern to scale
Print the pattern with "scale to fit" turned off. You can check that your pattern is the correct size by measuring the 5cm test square.
Print the pattern out, cut the pattern pieces, and sticky tape them together matching the registration marks and letters. Cut out the pattern sizing that you need; small or large.
- Cut out your material, which includes 4 mitten pieces and 2 band pieces.
- Starting with the mittens, place the right sides together and sew 1/4” around the outside of the mitten. Repeat for the second mitten.
- You may want to overlock around the outside of this to ensure it has a nice finish.
- Cut around the curved part of the mitten, without cutting through the stitch line. Shown in the image below.
- Turn your mittens inside out so the right side is facing.
- Fold your ribbing fabric and stitch down the edge.
- Now fold this down so that the right sides of the ribbing fabric is showing.
- Place the raw edge of the ribbing with the bottom of the mitten and stitch along the bottom. You can overlock this to make the edges neater
- Fold the band back down, repeat for the second mitten and you are finished.
These mittens can also be donated to charity. If you want to contribute to a great cause, the charities listed below accept handmade mittens. Just send your creations in to the mailing address provided.
Are you a charity that would accept this item? Contact us to have your details added here.
Magic Moments - Grandies
228 Forest Acres Drive
Lake Macdonald QLD 4563
Free Embroidery Designs
We're excited to offer our free Echidna designs available for download. These free designs are perfect for those at a beginner or an advanced level. Add these designs to your stash and create incredible embroidery!
View all free designs >
Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machines
Interested in learning how to sew, quilt or embroider? Take a look at the innovative Brother machines available for purchase at Echidna Sewing. Wherever possible we will beat any deal and you will always receive ongoing service and support!
Find out more >
Learn to Sew or Embroider with Echidna Sewing
Come along to our fun-filled classes to learn more about sewing, embroidery and crafting. Classes cater for all skill levels, whether you're just starting out or already have advanced knowledge.
Find out more >
Echidna project material/ fabric requirements are an indication only and can seem to be generous. This has been intentional. Should you make a cutting or embroidery mistake you will have sufficient fabric to rectify your error.