Fun Flip Book
Date Posted:15 August 2021
Create this super cute Fun Flip Book using Australian inspired alphabet embroidery designs by Outback Embroidery. This project is great to make for the kids to learn their A, B, C's!
- Sewing and embroidery machine with minimum 5" x 7" hoop size.
- Australian Alphabet designs by Outback Embroidery
Fabric & batting
- 1 x metre Cream Homespun - cut 26 pieces measuring 10” x 14” (embroidery blocks)
- 80cm Binding fabric - 15 x 2” strips cut across the width of the fabric (WOF)
- 1 x metre Battlizer - 13 x 6 ½” x 8 ½”
- Optional - Shape to create (for the back of embroidery) Cut 26 pieces measuring 10” x 14”
- Fusible Softaway/Tearaway - cut 26 pieces measuring 10" x 14”
General accessories used
- Softlight Mercerized Cotton #MC3-040 (Embroidered Letters)
- Prewound Bobbins
- 505 spray
- Rasant Thread Cream
- Orange Pop rectangular rulers
- Rotating cutting mat
- Olfa Cutter
- Erasable pen eg Frixion pen or Water soluble pen
- Red Handle Applique scissors
- Nylon Grommet Punch Kit + Grunt Stainless Steel Grommets (From Bunnings)
Finished size of each page: 6 ½" x 8 ½"
1. Iron “Shape to Create” onto the wrong side of each piece of cream homespun used for the embroidery blocks (if you choose to use Shape to Create).
2. Iron “Fusible Softaway/Tearaway” onto the back of each piece of cream homespun used for the embroidery blocks.
3. Hoop up and embroider the 26 alphabet letters.
4. Cut each embroidery block down to create the pages - 6 ½” x 8 ½”
5. Cut 13 x pieces of Battilizer 6 ½” x 8 ½”.
6. Using 505 basting spray, spray the back of each letter and attach to the front and back of the Battilizer e.g. Letter A (front) & B (back). Repeat this step until you have 13 Flip Book pages.
7. If you haven’t already done so, cut the binding fabric to strips of 2” across the width of the fabric. Press in half, then press in half again. You will need one strip for each page = 13 strips with two as backups should a mistake occur.
8. Bind around each page using your walking foot and ¼” seam.
9. Place a Grommet on the left hand corner of each page, approximately 7mm - 10mm in from the corner binding. Draw a circle on the inside of the Grommet with an erasable marker.
10. Remove Grommet and visually check placement is correct. Repeat for the next twelve pages.
11. Using your applique scissors, cut the circle shape through the 3 layers of each page. This circle is where the Grommet is inserted for setting.
12. Follow the instructions of the Grommet kit and set each Grommet on all the pages with a hammer.
13. With your spare binding strip, fold each end and stitch together to create a 1cm wide tie and thread the pages through the Grommets in each corner. Tie in a bow and you have completed the project!
Free Echidna Designs
We're excited to offer our free Echidna designs available for download. These free designs are perfect for those at a beginner or an advanced level. Add these designs to your stash and create incredible embroidery!
Download free designs
Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machines
Interested in learning how to sew, quilt or embroider? Take a look at the innovative Brother machines available for purchase at Echidna Sewing. Wherever possible we will beat any deal and you will always receive ongoing service and support!
Find out more >
Learn to Sew or Embroider with Echidna Sewing
Come along to our fun-filled classes to learn more about sewing, embroidery and crafting. Classes cater for all skill levels, whether you're just starting out or already have advanced knowledge.
Find out more >