Father's Day creations
Date Posted:16 August 2019
Create something special for dad this Father's Day!
Father's Day is the perfect opportunity for you to get crafty and make something extra special for your dad. Why not create him a custom greeting card or add some personalisation to a glass or mug? Make your gift his favourite new item!
What you need:
- Any model of the Brother ScanNCut
- Standard ScanNCut blade
- ScanNCut Low tack 12"x 12" mat
- Pre-cut blank cards or card stock cut to size of a greeting card
- Colour card or paper
- Glue or double sided tape
- Download the #1 DAD ScanNCut file (.fcm) and save this onto a USB to plug it directly into your ScanNCut machine or download the ScanNCut CanvasWorkspace file (.svg) which will allow you to alter the design online and send it to your machine via a Wireless network.
- Install the Standard ScanNCut Blade into your ScanNCut by following the steps outlined in your machines quick reference guide.
- Place the card onto a Low tack adhesive mat in the top left hand corner, making sure it sticks well. Feel free to use a roller to secure the card in place if needed. Note: We have used pre-cut blank card (available from Kmart) but you can easily use any piece of card and cut it to your desired card size and just increase the size of the cut out design as needed.
- Load the mat into the ScanNCut by following the steps outlined in your machines quick reference guide (remember to hold the mat level while loading)
- Load the design from your USB
- Do a scan of the mat and position the design in the lower half of the card. Note: We suggest doing a test cut to ensure you have your settings correct for the medium you are using. Cutting a small hole in the corner of your mat is a lot less upsetting than cutting a large design straight through your mat.
- On the main screen choose the ‘test’ button. We usually use the ‘square’ test and place it in the top left hand side corner of my mat. Referring to the ScanNCut Educational Binder that came with the ScanNCut machine, the cheat sheet on machine settings found on page 9 is very useful. If you have to, do a few test cuts to ensure you have the correct blade settings before moving onto the next step.
- Once you have the design lined up on the media, choose the ‘cut’ option and select ‘Start’ or press play to cut out your design.
- Once the machine has completed cutting the design, unload the mat from the ScanNCut and gently peel off the card and you should be left with #1 DAD text cut out of your card.
- Flip the card and apply double sided tape or glue to the card as shown
- Place the colour card or paper face down on the tape to cover the cut out section and press.
- Flip the card back over and your finished. Add a message and give with your gift to dad.
Check out what else you can create with these free designs
Add personalisation to almost any object with vinyl. Make a special gift for yourself or someone with the use of customisation.
Free Online Bluprint Videos
Echidna Sewing is proud to be an affiliate of Bluprint and it's not hard to understand why. It's free to join and you will be able to access a large range of online classes, tutorials, patterns and projects for a number of different craft hobbies.
Find our more >
Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machines
Interested in learning how to sew, quilt or embroider? Take a look at the innovative Brother machines available for purchase at Echidna Sewing. Wherever possible we will beat any deal and you will always receive ongoing service and support!
Find out more >
Learn to Sew or Embroider with Echidna Sewing
Come along to our fun-filled classes to learn more about sewing, embroidery and crafting. Classes cater for all skill levels, whether you're just starting out or already have advanced knowledge.
Find out more >