Magnetic Polaroid Frame
Author: Nicole H Date Posted:13 April 2023
Do you have a collection of polaroid photos that you want to display in a unique and creative way? Look no further than your old fridge calendar magnets and some adhesive vinyl. With the help of a cutting machine, you can easily create your own Magnetic Polaroid Frames that will allow you to showcase your treasured memories on your fridge.
Not only will this DIY project add a personal touch to your home decor, but it also provides a fun and functional way to keep your polaroids organized and easily accessible. So take a trip down memory lane and turn those old fridge magnets into something special with this easy and crafty project. Get ready to enjoy your favorite moments every time you open your fridge!.
Free design file:This includes:
- 1 x Frame (.svg) suitable for Fuji Film Instax Mini Film Polaroids
Film size: 54mm (W) x 86mm (H)
Picture size: 46mm (W) x 62mm (H)
Choosing your medium:
We have created this project using old fridge calendar magnets however, you can also use A4 magnet sheets or rolls that are available from your local office supplies or craft store.
Polaroid Film Frame
What you will need:
- Download the .svg file and save these onto a USB to plug it directly into your cutting machine.
- Attempt to remove any old stickers on the calendar fridge magnet, sometimes this will likely leave a paper texture which will be easier for the vinyl to adhere too.
- Cut a piece of adhesive vinyl to the rough size of the magnet.
- Now we need to apply the adhesive vinyl over the calendar fridge magnet. To do this start by peeling back the backing sheet by about an inch or 5cm. Place the magnet face down on the vinyl as close to the edge as possible.
- Flip over the magnet with the 5cm of vinyl attached and continue to pull the rest of vinyl backing over the magnet. At the same time use your fingers or a scraper to push the vinyl onto the magnet as this will help reduce any bubbles.
- Trim any excess vinyl that is overlapping the magnet.
- Place the magnet on your machine mat. Use masking tape to hold the magnet in place firmly if needed.
- Adjust your machine settings to be suitable for cutting the thicker medium. (The SDX range of Brother ScanNCut will do this automatically if you have enabled this setting). Note that some machines will go over the design multiple times to cut through the magnet.
- Load the mat into your machine.
- Load the .svg (If you have a Brother ScanNCut, do a quick scan of your mat to make sure the design is positioned correctly on top of the magnet).
- Proceed with cutting the design.
- Once the machine has finished cutting your design, unload the mat from the machine and gently remove the outer scrap of cut magnet.
- Gently remove the inners and you will be left with your frame.
- Place magnets over a polaroid picture on your fridge so you can see your treasured memories every day.
Free Embroidery Designs
We're excited to offer our free Echidna designs available for download. These free designs are perfect for those at a beginner or an advanced level. Add these designs to your stash and create incredible embroidery!
View all free designs >
Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machines
Interested in learning how to sew, quilt or embroider? Take a look at the innovative Brother machines available for purchase at Echidna Sewing. Wherever possible we will beat any deal and you will always receive ongoing service and support!
Find out more >
Learn to Sew or Embroider with Echidna Sewing
Come along to our fun-filled classes to learn more about sewing, embroidery and crafting. Classes cater for all skill levels, whether you're just starting out or already have advanced knowledge.
Find out more >
Echidna project material/ fabric requirements are an indication only and can seem to be generous. This has been intentional. Should you make a cutting or embroidery mistake you will have sufficient fabric to rectify your error.