May 2020: Beanies for Night Ninjas
Date Posted:1 May 2020
Night Ninjas is a not-for-profit organisation that is dedicated to helping those that are experiencing homelessness or living close to or below the poverty line. With around 40 committed volunteers, Night Ninjas focus their efforts in Redland City and the Brisbane Bayside area with the hope of expanding their coverage as they grow.
Night Ninjas strive to offer the highest quality services possible to people in need. Their volunteers play a variety of different roles in different areas in the community. They distribute donations to the streets such as clothing, blankets and other essentials, to providing night feeds and food hampers. We're supporting Night Ninjas this May month and creating beanies for them to disperse to the homeless and disadvantaged. Get involved, get creative and use your skills to donate to a great cause.
TO CONSTRUCT THE BEANIE, YOU'LL NEED:
- Polar fleece fabric - it's really warm!
- Matching thread to stitch the beanie together (with a sewing machine or overlocker)
- White thread to sew the badge onto the beanie
STITCH AND ADD YOU EMBROIDERED BADGE
For those who own a free arm machine, you can embroider the Night Ninja design directly onto the beanie if you wish. Otherwise, you can use our Night Ninja badge design and follow the instructions below.
What you'll need:
- Embroidery machine
- 4" x 4" hoop
- Bag Batting
- Echidna Washaway
- Black thread
- White thread
- Curved Applique scissors
- White or black bobbin thread
Cut a square of bag batting 4.5" x 4.5". Cut and hoop two layers of Washaway.
Stitching the embroidery
- Download the Night Ninja badge design onto a USB then insert into your machine.
- Select the design, ready to embroider.
- Hoop the stabiliser into the hoop and lock onto your machine.
- Stitch placement circle onto washaway.
- Place the bag batting square over the circle.
- Tape down, or hold in place to stitch the placement line and first zig zag.
- Remove hoop from machine and trim excess bag batting as close as you can from circle without cutting stitches.
- Return hoop to the machine and stitch badge edge with black embroidery thread.
- Change thread to white embroidery thread and stitch Ninja face.
- Change thread back to black and stitch the Ninja eyes and hearts, then trim the jump stitches. Complete the embroidery.
- Remove from the hoop and dampen the edges of the badge with water to dissolve the washaway.
- Attach the badge to the beanie either by stitching the badge directly onto the fabric, or you can apply Hot Melt Film to the rear of the badge and iron onto the beanie.
If you're having trouble or would like a more in-depth tutorial of making an embroidered badge, check out our tutorial →
HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO CREATE THE PROJECT?
This sewalong will run from 1st – 31st May 2020.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
Sewalongs are a great way to get inspired by what everyone creates, while giving to a worthy cause. If you’re new to sewing or embroidering this is a great chance to get involved and have fun no matter what the outcome. Any excuse to put your sewing and embroidery machines to good use is a great one.
SENDING IN YOUR DONATIONS
The beanies can be dropped in or posted to any of the Echidna stores during the month of the sewalong. Please send any donations made after the sewalong month directly to the charity:
PO Box 205
Free Echidna Designs
We're excited to offer our free Echidna designs available for download. These free designs are perfect for those at a beginner or an advanced level. Add these designs to your stash and create incredible embroidery!
Download free designs
Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machines
Interested in learning how to sew, quilt or embroider? Take a look at the innovative Brother machines available for purchase at Echidna Sewing. Wherever possible we will beat any deal and you will always receive ongoing service and support!
Find out more >
Learn to Sew or Embroider with Echidna Sewing
Come along to our fun-filled classes to learn more about sewing, embroidery and crafting. Classes cater for all skill levels, whether you're just starting out or already have advanced knowledge.
Find out more >