July 2020: Heat Packs for Zaeli Grace Inc
Date Posted:1 July 2020
Zaeli Grace Inc is a charity that aims to help provide emergency and practical supplies to families impacted by childhood cancers. Inspired by a beautiful young girl named Zaeli Grace, this charity works hard to spread awareness about childhood cancer and offers love and support to those that are affected.
The heat bag/s you make will be given to families whose child has been admitted to hospital for the treatment of cancer. A small portion of the heat packs will also be sold to raise funds for essential items to ease the burden of families who will need to remain at the hospital for extended periods.
The fill for the heat packs will be supplied & filled by volunteers in Brisbane, so you will only be making the heat pack inner and outer skins!
- 100% new cotton fabric
- Tape measure or ruler
- Rotary cutter or scissors
- Cutting mat (if you have one)
- Tailors chalk
Outer Removable Cover
- 2 x rectangular pieces of 100% cotton material - cut one to 17cm x 63cm and the other to 17cm x 53cm
- Cotton sewing thread
- 2 x rectangular pieces of 100% cotton material - cut to 16cm x 53cm
- Cotton sewing thread
An overlocker could be used to piece the bags together if you have one. If you do not have an overlocker please use the zigzag stitch to neaten all raw edges to reduce fraying. We have zigzagged close to the stitching line and trimmed the excess material in our samples.
Seams are 3/8” or 1cm. Use the same seam allowance on all seams when piecing the heat pack together.
Outer removable cover
- Neaten one end of each of the 17 x 53cm & 17 x 63cm pieces using your overlocker or zigzag stitch.
- Change to sewing machine or straight stitch. Fold over the neatened edge and stitch down. This creates a neat edge for the inner skin to be dropped into the outer bag!
- Iron each neatened edge.
- Place the 17cm x 53cm and the 17cm x 63cm pieces right sides together matching them at the base.
- Fold the 10cm excess from the top over the smaller (53cm) piece - iron.
- Sew around the three edges of the outer bag with the overlocker or sewing machine, ensuring the edges are neatened.
- Turn inside out and iron - it’s completed!
- Neaten one end of each of the 16cm x 53cm pieces using your overlocker or zigzag stitch.
- Change to straight stitch. Fold over the neatened edge and stitch down. This creates a neat edge for the wheat to be poured into.
- Place the two 16cm x 53cm pieces right sides together and stitch along the three remaining sides using your overlocker (one step) or straight seam with neatened edges.
- Turn inside out and iron. The top is left open for the bag to be filled with wheat!
HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO CREATE THE PROJECT?
This sewalong will run from 1st – 31st July 2020.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
Sewalongs are a great way to get inspired by what everyone creates, while giving to a worthy cause. If you’re new to sewing or embroidering this is a great chance to get involved and have fun no matter what the outcome. Any excuse to put your sewing and embroidery machines to good use is a great one.
SENDING IN YOUR DONATIONS
The heat packs can be dropped in or posted to any of the Echidna stores during the month of the sewalong. Please send any donations made after the sewalong month directly to the charity:
PO Box 205
Free Echidna Designs
We're excited to offer our free Echidna designs available for download. These free designs are perfect for those at a beginner or an advanced level. Add these designs to your stash and create incredible embroidery!
Download free designs
Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machines
Interested in learning how to sew, quilt or embroider? Take a look at the innovative Brother machines available for purchase at Echidna Sewing. Wherever possible we will beat any deal and you will always receive ongoing service and support!
Find out more >
Learn to Sew or Embroider with Echidna Sewing
Come along to our fun-filled classes to learn more about sewing, embroidery and crafting. Classes cater for all skill levels, whether you're just starting out or already have advanced knowledge.
Find out more >